Thursday, May 20, 2010

well, would you believe...

Oh, I just love Nicaraguan children. Seriously. Today we went to Chureca to teach English and the two most precious, adorable boys started following us around. Their names were Stephen and Carlos and AH, I want to take them home with me. When I picked Carlos up, he looked me right in the eye and screamed "TENGO CINCO ANOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and waved his five fingers in my face. It was so cute. During the English class, the two of them were playing on a swing set near the tables we were at and I was practically hypnotized by them. I think the reason I love kids is because they have such insane amounts of joy. Like here were these two little boys who live in a dump, and they had so much happiness that it was practically spewing out of them. I just can't get over it.

Anyway, update on the whole disgusting skin/neck ordeal.
After it still being gross upon waking up this morning, I knew I need to get it looked at. The doctor at the clinic in Chureca wanted to cut it right then and there, but we decided it was probably better to figure out what exactly it was before doing anything rash. So I went to a dermatologist in a hospital about 1/2 an hour away. Hembey (one of the PD's) and I had to wait for a very long time, because we were told to be there an hour earlier than when the doctor actually tends to show up. (Just another example of living in a world that runs on Nica-time, I guess) So after listening to Spanish soap operas on the television in the waiting room for what felt like a long time, I finally got to see the doctor. She was very nice, but had no clue what it was and then prescribed me three medicines. Several hours and $65 later and still no answer.

So we're driving back to the house. We stop to get some McFlurry's (which are not the type you get in the states, they are WAY better. It's basically just soft serve with chocolate or caramel sauce and whatever topping you want) and then stopped at the venta (store). Gabe & Zeke were there, and I showed them my blister-fied gross neck, and both of them go "OH, It's a Maya, of course!!"
Apparently, a Maya is a small bug that is found here in Nicaragua. When they get on your skin, they often urinate, and their urine is extremely acidic. So what happened to me is that some little Maya crawled on my neck during the night and urinated on me, resulting in blisters. I can't believe I went to that dumb hospital when all I needed to do was go right down the street and ask the neighbors to find out what was wrong.

sparknotes version of my life:
I GOT PEED ON BY A NICA BUG WITH ACID FOR URINE.

oh yes, that would happen to me.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you're in pain and have grossness on your neck, but this:

    I GOT PEED ON BY A NICA BUG WITH ACID FOR URINE.

    just made me laugh. so. much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW sounds like that bug has got a bed wetting problem -- get that little sucker some GoodNights(c)... because GoodNights mean good mornings. ;)

    saw your mom and warrenton day and mistakenly mentioned you being away... shouldn't have brought it up :-0. she misses you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. good story bud :) I've never ever heard of anything like that...sounds wild!!! I so love reading these adventures!

    ReplyDelete